Morgan is an historic town and popular holiday retreat on the Murray River.
The Morgan Museum overlooks the lawn riverbank area and charts early life in the Morgan area. See superb horse drawn vehicles used for the transportation, a 1926 Chevrolet truck in working order, and an 11-metre mural constructed entirely of locally grown wool. There is also the old telephone exchange setup near the old schoolroom and the farmhouse kitchen which are enjoyable for all members of the family.
There are many reserves in the area and good fishing spots, there are several stranded barges from the paddle wheel era - some high and dry, other are submerged, these are worth seeing and fishing around.
The Morgan Historical Walk includes the Railway Reserve and some of Morgan township’s buildings of historical significance. There is a good shopping centre which caters for all needs as well as hotels, a swimming area, golf course, bowling club, caravan park, camping sites and plenty of good fishing areas.
Copies of the Heritage Walk map can be obtained from the Morgan Visitor Information Centre, in the Morgan Roadhouse, the Council Office or most of the businesses in the town.
Charles Sturt passed the site of the town on his voyage down the Murray and back in 1830. Known originally as North West Bend, the Great Bend or the Great Elbow, it became a point for overlanders, on their way to Adelaide with stock, to leave the Murray and make for Adelaide. In 1878 the town was proclaimed and the Kapunda to Morgan railway officially opened. The purpose of the railway was to tap the river trade from the Darling and Upper Murray regions by providing quicker access to a coastal port and thereby forestalling similar efforts by the Victorian Government.
In its glory days, as a port, Morgan was the second biggest port in South Australia, behind Port Adelaide, dispatching six trains a day to Port Adelaide and saw long queues of laden steamers and barges stretching downstream from the Morgan wharf awaiting their turn to unload.