Named after a town on the Italian Riviera, San Remo is the gateway to Phillip Island on the eastern entrance of Western Port. It is a significant ocean and bay fishing port and a popular feeding spot for flocks of friendly pelicans.
San Remo was settled in 1840 when the deep water port at Griffiths Point was used to export local products such as wattlebark, farm produce and cattle. The township that grew up along the port became a popular tourist spot. Visitors still make a beeline for the town to take advantage of ocean fishing and boat charters that leave from the jetty. The San Remo Fisherman's Cooperative is the leading supplier of fresh fish for the region.
San Remo's most well-known inhabitants are the pelicans that congregate around the barbecues and playgrounds on the foreshore each morning to await the largesse of visitors.
San Remo offers diverse accommodation options, from caravan parks to motels and resort-style indulgence. Tennis, squash and bowling greens are available and there is a safe sheltered beach and an excellent surf beach in town. Local cafes and restaurants buzz with a seaside atmosphere and there are souvenir shops and a jewellery gallery to browse.
Take in San Remo's scenery and historic landmarks on foot. The George Bass Coastal Walk begins at the southern end of Punchbowl Road and is a scenic six kilometre walk (one way) to Kilcunda. Wander along the foreshore ramble to Bore Beach where the historic coal bore can be seen and on to Shelly Beach, Griffiths Point and Quarry Rocks, where stone was quarried around 1870 to build business chambers in Melbourne.
San Remo is located 125 kilometres south-east of Melbourne or about 90 minutes by car along the South Gippsland Highway and the Bass Highway.